Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] unable to get sound from alsa sink

From: Barry Duggan
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] unable to get sound from alsa sink
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2019 09:36:41 -0400

Hi Chris,

You didn't mention your OS or your platform, but this works for a Linux system:

Using a terminal screen, enter 'aplay -L'

Here is an excerpt from my Raspberry Pi:

"""
default:CARD=ALSA
    bcm2835 ALSA, bcm2835 ALSA
    Default Audio Device
hw:CARD=ALSA,DEV=1
    bcm2835 ALSA, bcm2835 IEC958/HDMI
    Direct hardware device without any conversions
hw:CARD=Device,DEV=0
    USB Audio Device, USB Audio
    Direct hardware device without any conversions
"""

The Pi has a headphone jack, an HDMI port, and I have a USB audio dongle. What you need to do is pick the appropriate entry for your system, and the enter the Device Name in the Audio Sink properties. For example, I use "hw:CARD=ALSA,DEV=1" to get sound on my monitor.

On Windows or Mac, you might just enter "default:CARD=ALSA".

Good luck,
--
Barry Duggan