[Discuss-gnuradio] Eventstream source latency

From: Lundberg, Daniel
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Eventstream source latency
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2019 16:07:36 +0000

I have a flowgraph with a simple FDMA implementation with two channels.  One channel has a constant stream.  The other channel has complex sample bursts generated in a custom python function, which I package as a PDU.  I apply the frequency modulation within the python file to place it in the correct frequency channel.  I send the PDU to an eventstream source and then add the two channels in an add block before sending the merged signal to a USRP sink.  I am seeing latencies of over a second from the PDU generation to when the eventstream source sends them on.  My sample rate is ~5 Ms/s and my PDU is about 1.25 MS, so about a quarter of a second.  My eventstream source block is using ASAP event placement and MEMCPY settings.

Is this level of latency expected?  I do not fully understand the merge behavior of the eventstream source, but I would expect perhaps 2X the PDU size of latency if it has a PDU length number of zeros in it's buffer before inserting the PDU.

Thank you,
DL