[Discuss-gnuradio] Can't create Out of Tree Tagged Stream Blocks?

From: Lundberg, Daniel
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Can't create Out of Tree Tagged Stream Blocks?
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2019 15:12:50 +0000

I am working within Gnuradio version 3.7.13.4.  As far as I can tell, gr_modtool does not support tagged stream blocks for either python or C++.  Trying to make a new tagged stream block in C++ will create QA code, but does not make files for the actual block.  For python it will throw a hard error.  This appears to be a known issue:  https://github.com/gnuradio/gnuradio/issues/2489

Can someone point me to some documentation on how to implement an out of tree module without gr_modtool?

If this is a non-starter, then here is my problem description.  I am open to suggestions on how to solve the problem without an OOT tagged stream block:

I need to implement a block that takes two generated signals with defined, very large (~ million sample) packet lengths that are produced at different times, align them on a sample-by-sample basis, and adds them.  I know how to do this within a tagged stream block.  I am open to ideas on how to do this without tagged streams, but I’m not sure how to do sample alignment of large packets without having them contained in a tagged stream block work function.

Thank you,

DL