[Discuss-gnuradio] [announcement] GNU Radio 3.8 Release Candidate 1

From: Marcus Müller
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] [announcement] GNU Radio 3.8 Release Candidate 1
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2019 01:13:22 +0200

Dear GNU Radio Community,

tonight, we're releasing the first release candidate for the GNU Radio
3.8.0.0 release.

You can find it on
https://github.com/gnuradio/gnuradio/releases/tag/v3.8.0.0-rc1
and soon as a tarball on
https://www.gnuradio.org/releases/gnuradio/

This is really a major step. In fact, it's so big, that I really didn't
find the means to write a sensible CHANGELOG; I'll conclude on the most
user-relevant changes in the final release's entry.

However, I've gone through all commits v3.7.0.0..HEAD and tried to
count the unique contributors:

I'd like to announce that we've got a glorious amount of 215 individual
contributors that added at least one commit since 3.7.0 that goes into
this release candidate. Johnathan released 3.7.0 on the 29th of June
2013, some good six years ago.

To be specific, that's 2209 days from today. Which means that we got
one unique contributor every 10 days and 6-and-a-half hours. Not too
shabby, I'd say, for this enormous period of time.

I'm pretty happy to see that the speed at which new contributors find
our way seems to be increasing these days. We're a lively, high-quality
product with what I consider to be one of the more healthy communities
you'll find in Free Software.

Let us ride eternal, shiny and chrome.

Best regards,
Marcus