Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Installing GNURadio on Centos 7

From: CEL
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Installing GNURadio on Centos 7
Date: Sun, 7 Jul 2019 15:39:29 +0000

Dear George,

getting the slightly dated GNU Radio 3.7.11 + matching gr-osmosdr +
matching rtl-sdr on a clean-slate CentOS is literally three lines of
command line (as root)

yum install epel-release
yum check-update
yum install gr-osmosdr

That will give you a fully functioning GNU Radio and RTL-SDR
capabilities. However, as said, CentOS 7's packages are slightly old,
which means that rtl-sdr might not recognize your rtl dongle, if it's
"too new".

If you want (and I'd recommend that) a more modern GNU Radio, instead
of that (as root) (this is half from the top of my head, so please do
report back whether this works.

I **DO** assume you're pretty familiar with the Linux command line and
CentOS; if you are *not* familiar with both, the sensible way would be
to use a different linux distro (e.g. Fedora)  instead of CentOS and
just use its tools to install gnuradio and all you need (e.g. "dnf
install gr-osmosdr", done.). But assuming you really want to make this
work on what you are already very familiar with:

yum install epel-release yum-plugin-copr wget rpm-build
yum copr enable marcusmueller/gnuradio
yum check-update
yum install gnuradio gnuradio-devel gcc libusbx-devel make
wget h
ttps://mirror.karneval.cz/pub/linux/fedora/linux/development/rawhide/Everything/source/tree/Packages/r/rtl-sdr-0.5.4-5.fc31.src.rpm

rpmbuild --rebuild rtl-sdr*.src.rpm
rpm -i ~/rpmbuild/RPMS/rtl*.rpm

Congratulations! You've just

1. Enabled my RPM repo and installed a modern GNU Radio from there,
2. Downloaded the bleeding edge Fedora 31 RPM source code of RTL-SDR,
and
3. built your own RTL-SDR package and
4. installed these.

We'll do the same for gr-osmosdr; however, gr-osmosdr's spec file needs
a little work to build, so this boils down to

wget
https://mirror.karneval.cz/pub/linux/fedora/linux/development/rawhide/Everything/source/tree/Packages/g/gr-osmosdr-0.1.4-16.20170221git2a2236cc.fc31.src.rpm

rpm -i gr-osmosdr-*.src.rpm

cd ~/rpmbuild/SPECS/
vi gr-osmosdr.spec

(delete the "%ldconfig_scriptlets" line in that file, save and exit)

rpmbuild -bb gr-osmosdr.spec

Oh! It complains about missing dependencies:

        gcc-c++ is needed by gr-osmosdr-0.1.4-
16.20170221git2a2236cc.el7.x86_64
        doxygen is needed by gr-osmosdr-0.1.4-
16.20170221git2a2236cc.el7.x86_64
        graphviz is needed by gr-osmosdr-0.1.4-
16.20170221git2a2236cc.el7.x86_64
        swig is needed by gr-osmosdr-0.1.4-
16.20170221git2a2236cc.el7.x86_64
        uhd-devel is needed by gr-osmosdr-0.1.4-
[………]

However, since we really don't want a fully-fledged gr-osmosdr that
supports every hardware out there, let's just ignore all the hardware
driver dependencies and just install the essential ones:

yum install gcc-c++ doxygen graphviz swig

and then tell rpmbuild to ignore the missing dependencies:

rpmbuild --nodeps --bb gr-osmosdr.spec

cd ../RPMS/
rpm -i gr-osmosdr*.rpm

Done. You've now got a working GNU Radio 3.7.13.4 on CentOS 7, with gr-
osmosdr that gives you access to rtl-sdr dongles.

Best regards,
Marcus