Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] How to introduce regex in GNU Radio block?

From: Sebastien Van Cauwenberghe
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] How to introduce regex in GNU Radio block?
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2019 13:08:59 +0200

Hi Bowen,

I don't spend a lot of time on this ML but I'm very interested in this project as I could make heavy use of it in the future. I currently work on VHDL support in Verilator and I know that handling HDL (Verilog/SystemVerilog/VHDL) is quite hard.

Using regex is a good idea although it's super fragile as you cannot expect the output to be always as you think.

I see two other scenarios for your issue :
1) Don't use regex at all.
Force the the port names and use a defined interface like AXI4 stream (one for input and one for output) (which a standard in HDL design (http://www.mrc.uidaho.edu/mrc/people/jff/EO_440/Handouts/AMBA%20Protocols/AXI-Stream/IHI0051A_amba4_axi4_stream_v1_0_protocol_spec.pdf).
Then let the user wrap it in a new toplevel that matches your interface port names.
As a future enhancement you could like 'autodetect' the port names.

2) Reuse the tools like Verilator to dump the port names.

I personally would go for (1) as it's easy to implement and does all the stuff to have a functional project from my point of view.

Feel free to contact me if I can help you.
Sébastien