Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Determining distance from OFDM signals

From: Qasim Chaudhari
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Determining distance from OFDM signals
Date: Sun, 9 Jun 2019 23:23:13 +1000

Hi Marcus,
   Thanks for your nice words. GNU Radio is an amazing project and the email archive is our first resource for finding help. Benefited me numerous times.

    Regarding the necessity of back and forth transmission for ranging, you already know this stuff but I write the below note for later searchers.

The fundamental question to ask is the following. What are the conditions under which finding the distance is possible? It turns out that unsynchronized nodes have a phase offset Theta and a delay Tau between them. So we have two unknowns.

    Now if we implement one way transmission, we get only one equation and hence it becomes impossible to separate the phase offset from delay.

Time_2 = Time_1 + Theta + Delay

    However, there are several ways in which an extra equation can be provided to this system for range determination (since phase is just another manifestation of time, so the underlying principles stay the same).

Method 1: Synchronize the nodes and hence Theta becomes zero. One equation and one unknown, i.e., delay.

Method 2: Provide an extra independent equation through back and forth transmission where phase offset Theta appears with a negative sign (because measurement is at the initiator now).

Time_4 = Time_3 - Theta + Delay

    Here, we have two equations that can solve the two unknowns.

Method 3: Move one node around that doesn't affect the phase offset Theta but provides an extra equation for delay Tau. For example, if we take it twice as far,

Time_4 = Time_3 + Theta + 2*Delay

Again, two equations and two unknowns. The OFDM radar you mentioned is a generalization of this concept where we do graphs in 2 dimensions and find the range/velocity through the respective slopes. So basically we provide the second equation through movement that changes the delay.

As a side remark, I just mention that the large number of subcarriers doesn't provide independent equations (multiply both sides of the above equations with 2\piF_k instead of 2\piF_1 to check). However, they help in solving the range ambiguity problem, e.g., with 2.4 GHz, the maximum range determination is only 12.5cm. This comes from one wavelength (c/F).

Method 4: Place extra anchor nodes around the Tx. Now we have several extra equations but exactly the same number of extra phase offsets! One node (even an anchor) then can respond with a reply message where phase offsets appear with negative signs making the system solvable. This is usually known as ranging through one-way transmission (because target node has to transmit only once) or Blink Mode by some.

Cheers,
Qasim