Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Installing GNURadio On Raspberry Pi

From: Ben Hilburn
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Installing GNURadio On Raspberry Pi
Date: Thu, 9 May 2019 15:51:06 -0400

Hey Pete -

I am sorry if I came across as cynical and sarcastic.  I didn't mean
to.  I really wanted to know if anyone could make GNURadio work on a RPi.

Thanks, and it's okay. Tone and meaning are easily lost on mailing lists, so we try to be extra cautious - especially when someone is experiencing difficulties =)

I was really happy to see Glen's post, too! We'll work on getting that filesystem broadly available for people to work with.

I'll be the first to say I know nothing about Linux and Python. However,
<snip>   No matter how I install it, my flow graph just
won't run when it is enabled.

I totally understand how that's been a frustrating flow, believe me, and your story isn't uncommon. SDR can really be quite difficult and overwhelming given the sheer number of technical fields involved.

Luckily during this process, last night, I discovered that I don't need
the osmocom/rtlsdr block.  I can get the stream from my rtlsdr using the
command:
rtl-sdr -f xxxx -s xxxx /tmp/aFIFO
where a FIFO is created with mkfifo aFIFO.  Then read the FIFO with a
file source block.

Ah, nice hack!

It might not have as good a SNR as on windows but I think I can adjust
some filtering and move some gains around and it will be acceptable.

So, I'm off and running to complete my project and I'm not looking back
(I hope).

Yay! Very happy to hear that.

Maybe if I need to do this for another project I'll start over. It looks
like Glen and Marcus are using Ubuntu where as I have been using
Raspbian.  I'll go that route next time.

Yeah, that was an interesting note that came out of the thread - I hadn't heard of difficulties with the latter, before. Good to know going forward, for sure.

Cheers,
Ben

Thanks,

Pete