Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Tuning in VLF with a sound card

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Tuning in VLF with a sound card
Date: Thu, 02 May 2019 21:01:45 +0000

reading your email more closely:
* the sound card generates real data with an even spectrum with components at w and -w
* you transfer from VLF band to baseband by multiplying by a complex NCO exp(-jwt) with t=[0:length(samples)]/fs
when sampling at fs
* the -w component is shifted to -2w that you filter our before decimation
* after transposition and decimation, you end up with the complex I/Q components you are familiar with.

You can also multiply with cos(wt) instead of exp(jwt) but then you create all the spectral components
at +/-2wt which might be more annoying to filter out, so you might as well work with a complex NCO from the
beginning.

JM

--
JM Friedt, FEMTO-ST Time & Frequency/SENSeOR, 26 rue de l'Epitaphe,
25000 Besancon, France