[Discuss-gnuradio] Event Detection and Spectral Line Radio Astronomy Wor

From: Glen I Langston
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Event Detection and Spectral Line Radio Astronomy Working.
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2019 13:00:02 -0400

Hello Gnu-Radio.

We’ve been working to get Radio Astronomy working reliably in Gnuradio.   A number of
folks have made some excellent contributions to this area.

Kevin Bandura and I have been working with the Green Bank Observatory to develop
horns for observation of the spiral arm structure of the Milky Way.   The
guides are at http://opensourceradiotelescopes.org

The latest Gnuradio spectroscopy and event detection graphs are in the West Virginia University
contributions to GitHub; i.e.

git clone http://github.com/WVURAIL/gr-radio_astro

Follow the instructions to install the graph and build the code.
The documentation on the graphs are at:
https://github.com/WVURAIL/gr-radio_astro/tree/master/docs

There are some configuration files tuned with Radio Astronomy, but the event detection
code (written in C++) should have a wide applicability for detection of glitches in your
time series of samples.   Attached is an image of radio transient detected in February 2019,
that has the characteristics consistent with a cosmic ray flash, that is part of our science
target.

The radio astronomy graphs have been used with Airspy, Airspy-mini, the various RTLSDR dongles, PlutoSdr and LimeSdr
hardware.

Someone in Gnuradio pointed out that a lot of our code was concerned more with post process of recorded data
than truly part of gnu radio.   Now, all the post-processing code, and some documentation is obtained with

git clone http://www.github.com/glangsto/analyze

Finally, we’d like some help with one aspect of event detection.
Right now we’re limited to about 6MHz bandwidth (12 MHz samples) with the existing hardware/software.

We’d like to use the Analog Devices PlutoSdr internal computer to sample at a higher data rate (50 MHz or so), but
only detect rare transients at a rate of once or twice a minute.

We’d like to update the Pluto firmware to perform this task, while simultaneously allowing Gnuradio to
run on the host pc/single board.

The code is already complete, but not ported to the PlutoSdr.  Anyone interested in collaborating
on this project?

Thanks

Glen Langston