[Discuss-gnuradio] Survey: Additional static target & libtool support in

From: Andrej Rode
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Survey: Additional static target & libtool support in build system
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2019 14:47:45 +0100

Hi all,

During my recent work on getting the GNU Radio build system on a more
modern CMake foundation I stumbled upon some things I'd like to know
if someone is using them. [0]

1. Currently each component in GNU Radio is compiled as shared library
_and_ optionally a static build can be done. Because of the way it's
currently setup every source file is compiled twice anyway and a
shared library is always compiled as well.
In my quest to improve the build system I'd like to remove the second
"optional" build target for static libraries and use the  advised
`BUILD_SHARED_LIBS` switch in CMake to _either_ build shared libraries
_or_ static libraries. This will require having a separate build
directory for building shared & static libraries, but will simplify
the syntax in our build system immensly.
Building static-only libraries will be possible by specfiying
`-DBUILD_SHARED_LIBS=OFF`.

2. Optionally when specifiying `GENERATE_LIBTOOL` .la files are
generated by the build system. According to a comment in the
`GR_LIBTOOL` function those files are not compatible with auto-* tools
anyway and our build system is already providing package config and
CMake package configuration files. Is there still a user out there?

Cheers
Andrej

[0] https://github.com/gnuradio/gnuradio/pull/2230