Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] SDR for beginners (if not quite "dummies")

From: Colin Rowat
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] SDR for beginners (if not quite "dummies")
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2018 21:56:16 -0000

Thanks Bruce! – the SRTL-SDR v3 seems perfect for us – and there are even apps for Android (q.v. https://www.rtl-sdr.com/tag/android/)!

Instructions to Saint Nick being dispatched now.

Best,

Colin

From:Bruce Ferrell

Date:Sun, 2 Dec 2018 11:03:35 -0800

Collin,

Up until about two weeks ago I was looking for exactly what you're asking for... And I've

been a/ Electronics/radio/Linux "person" since high school in the 70's!

While How-to-obtain/build is great... And too much of the on-line stuff stops at how to obtain/build OR dives directly off into deep mathematics. Neither of those are very useful in how to use/get started.

Then I found this set of tutorials on YouTube to be extraordinarily useful:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLRovDyowOn5F67h9nHN4RWqmvXyt18uj8

The cheapest SDR you can lay you hands on is an RTL-SDR v3 at about $25... It

can ONLY be a receiver, but you can get going listening.  It was my first.

My second was the SDRplay one.  I got rid of it as it's Linux driver was closed... It was only available as a binary for very particular Linux distros and they weren't the ones I was using. They spent a year saying they would build for other distros and never did... Vexing.

I then found the BladeRF, which I like but I have it in use in a semi-dedicated

role.

I also play around with the ADALM-Pluto from analog devices. This one is

interesting in that it also has a built in Linux host

My next, when I have spare money, will probably be a LimeSDR or LimeSDR-mini

Good luck!