[Discuss-gnuradio] Upsampling: Delay and Alignment

From: Maximilian Stiefel
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Upsampling: Delay and Alignment
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2018 17:27:17 +0200

Hello everbody,

upsampling a complex data stream gives me headaches :( In my flowgraph the upsampling is done by multiplexing 7 zeros with 1 data sample and feeding this into a FIR filter, which is how everybody does it as I understood. However, for further processing I have to take the delay into account, that is introduced by the filter (length N). This delay should be (N-1)/2, as the filter phase is linear. I do this by delaying the data stream by one symbol length minus (N-1)/2, since causality rules.

       +----+  ------------+
       |Data+--->          |
                |Stream MUX+--->Decimating FIR Filter+--->Delay|
|Null Source+--->          |

If I upsample as depicted above, my transmission kinda works, but I end up having alignment problems resulting in a lower SNR. As I understood the delay is realized by zero padding, which should work, but there seems to be something I am missing out on. When I use the Decimating FIR Filter block and I want the same alignment as before (symbol x starts at sample y), so it can be further processed, what do I have to do?

Thank you for your ideas.

Regards,

Max