Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Invalid packets in ofdm_rx example

From: Michael Dickens
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Invalid packets in ofdm_rx example
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2018 11:06:18 -0400

Hi Usama - I'm confident that if you searched back through the GR discussion archives, you'd find discussions about this topic: < https://lists.gnu.org/archive/cgi-bin/namazu.cgi?query=header_payload_demux0&submit=Search%21&idxname=discuss-gnuradio&max=20&result=normal&sort=score >.

The "Parser returned #f" means that the OFDM header didn't pass CRC, which generally means that the "SNR" isn't adequate, but it could mean other things too. There are numerous possible issues that you will encounter when using GR's OFDM.

* Start with the -default- OFDM settings (e.g., FFT of 128, C/P of 32) and see if those work.

* Add a "gain" block immediately after the Tx OFDM block, with settings from (say) -10 dB to +10 dB; play around & see what happens on Rx. You'll want the Tx OFDM block abs() output to average around sqrt(1/2) or so, but less than 1.0; peaks will typically be over 1.0. Get the gain from above such that this is the case & you're one step closer. This value decreases the chances of saturating the USRP on Tx.

* After you've gotten a stable system working (gain is the key when using default OFDM parameters), start playing with other OFDM parameters: constellation, FFT length, and so forth --> BUT: one at a time.

* If you find one that doesn't work, reset its values and go to another one. If some parameter continues to be stubborn, post back here with your progress, tests & actual GRC script asking for help again.

Hope this is useful! - MLD