[Discuss-gnuradio] boost 1.67.0 compatibility issues with GR and UHD

From: Michael Dickens
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] boost 1.67.0 compatibility issues with GR and UHD
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2018 13:09:16 -0400

Boost 1.67.0 was released over the weekend, and there are incompatibilities
introduced by it for both GNU Radio and UHD -- both release and current GIT
master of each. Volk latest release as well as current GIT master both seem to
build and test cleanly using this new Boost version.

The OS-independent issues seem to arise from changes to `boost::posix_time` and
how the types it now uses for keeping track of various time durations -- I
think integer now versus floating point prior. There is a public PR for UHD
already open < https://github.com/EttusResearch/uhd/pull/170 > that I'm looking
at to see if it addresses the new Boost issues robustly.

For UHD on Mac OS X / any Darwin kernel there's also an unfortunate
incompatibility added between the GPSD and Boost APIs: the new
`boost::posix_time` now includes <mach/mach_time.h>, which (indirectly) defines
"policy_t" at the top-level namespace (typedef to `int`) ... as does <gpsd.h>
(typedef to a struct). I'm not yet sure what a good fix for this issue is
beyond disabling GPSD.

Cheers! - MLD