Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] No module named _runtime_swig in version 3.7.11

From: Vladimir Komendantskiy
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] No module named _runtime_swig in version 3.7.11
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2018 10:52:46 +0100

Thanks for your questions. I will be happy to clarify the issue. It should be clear though that I don't have two different installations of gnuradio on any single machine at any point in time.

This is what I'm doing. My goals are to install and run gnuradio. My distribution, as I wrote earlier, is Debian testing, codenamed Buster. My previous installation I had since last Summer was compiled from source and was working without any Python environment errors. Unfortunately I removed that installation in order to install the latest gnuradio. And that one didn't work.

Ways I tried, each one after removing any other gnuradio installations:

1. Install from package: sudo apt install gnuradio. Installation successful. gnuradio-companion displays the error dialog and exits.

2. build-gnuradio. Compilation of gnuradio fails because of this issue:

  https://github.com/gnuradio/gnuradio/commit/00c6f258259c61f25dc220402a9d07544942b414

I fixed the issue by applying the above patch. Compilation succeeds. The error dialog is the same and gnuradio-companion still doesn't work.

3. Compile gnuradio from github. Managed to compile but same error dialog.

Furthermore, in each of the 3 cases above I first tried running gnuradio-companion with the default environment: LD_LIBRARY_PATH and PYTHONPATH _empty_. When that didn't work, I set the environment according to the README and to my Python version:

$ export PYTHONPATH=/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages
$ export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:$HOME/local/lib

which didn't change the outcome a bit.

For the sake of completeness, the dialog text is the following:

======
Cannot import gnuradio.

Is the model path environment variable set correctly?
    All OS: PYTHONPATH

Is the library path environment variable set correctly?
    Linux: LD_LIBRARY_PATH
    Windows: PATH
    MacOSX: DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH

(No module named _runtime_swig)
======

Any ideas apart from changing the Linux distribution? The distro has to stay. I can always go back to the version of gnuradio that worked but I have a feeling that the issue here is very minor and can be fixed if you know the details.

--Vladimir

On 5 April 2018 at 00:02, Cinaed Simson <address@hidden> wrote:
On 04/04/2018 08:58 AM, Vladimir Komendantskiy wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I tried the latest Debian testing package of gnuradio and compiled from
> git master (applying one version 3.7.12 patch to fix a compile-time error).
>
> In both cases gnuradio-companion only displays the following error dialog:

It's not clear what it is you're doing.

Bottom line, you can't have 2 installations of gnuradio on the same
machine - if that's what you're doing.

Stick to one machine with only 1 installation of gnuradio - ideally a
normal Debian install.

> ======
> Cannot import gnuradio.
>
> Is the model path environment variable set correctly?
>     All OS: PYTHONPATH
>
> Is the library path environment variable set correctly?
>     Linux: LD_LIBRARY_PATH
>     Windows: PATH
>     MacOSX: DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH
>

> (No module named _runtime_swig)

Show us the answers to the above questions for PYTHONPATH, LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

Most likely they're not set correctly.

And why can't you use the default version 3.7.10 for Debian Jessie?
Which version of Debian are you using?

-- Cinaed