Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Trouble with gnuradio-companion after pybombs ins

From: Cinaed Simson
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Trouble with gnuradio-companion after pybombs installation
Date: Wed, 24 May 2017 21:39:17 -0700

On 05/24/2017 07:29 PM, Pavan Yedavalli wrote:
> To Kyeong and Cinaed: Thank you for the suggestions.
>
> I am still having a ton of the same issues. What I did was the following:
>
> 1) Removed the pybombs and prefix directories to start from scratch. Is
> this all I need to do in order to get rid of everything I previously
> installed?

Yes - it removes everything installed in ~/prefix.

>I have a feeling that maybe there are some lurking old files
> that haven't been purged just by removing those directories.

Now that you're in commonly used directories, it's possible there is old
installation lurking somewhere.

For completeness, check the system installs first

  apt list --installed | grep gnuradio

Shouldn't return anything. If it wasn't a problem before your first
pybombs install, it shouldn't be a problem now.

> 2) Re-installed pybombs with the /usr/local prefix and also additional
> OOT modules. Those were successful and now everything is installed in
> that directory
>
> address@hidden:/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages$ ls
> easy-install.pth         gnuradio      osmosdr
> PyBOMBS-2.3.1a0-py2.7.egg           setuptools.pth  _SoapySDR.so
> thrift-0.9.3-py2.7.egg-info  volk_modtool
> future-0.16.0-py2.7.egg  grc_gnuradio  pmt
> PyYAML-3.12-py2.7-linux-x86_64.egg  SoapySDR.py     thrift        tutorial

Great!

> 3) However, now when I do gnuradio-companion or sudo gnuradio-companion
> or pybombs run gnuradio-companion, it all gives the same 'No module
> named main' error, even though main.py exists in gnuradio/grc/. I don't
> know what the problem is here. When I check gnuradio-companion
> --version, it gives the same error. When I echo the paths you mentioned,
> they all seem normal:

Type

  which gnuradio-companion

should return

  /usr/local/bin/gnuradio-companion

Check the permissions

  ls -tld /usr/local/bin/gnuradio-companion

It's possible the umask for root is restrictive.

If you get an error, type

  ls -tld /usr/local/bin

> address@hidden:~$ echo $PYTHONPATH
> /usr/local/python:/usr/local/lib/python2.6/site-packages:/usr/local/lib64/python2.6/site-packages:/usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages:/usr/local/lib64/python2.6/dist-packages:/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages:/usr/local/lib64/python2.7/site-packages:/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages:/usr/local/lib64/python2.7/dist-packag

I would also try putting

   /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages

at the beginning of your PYTHONPATH.

Or comment out the existing PYTHONPATH in .bashrc file and set it to

   PYTHONPATH=/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-package

and source it

   . $HOME/.bashrc

Then check the PYTHONPATH and see what happens when you try to start it
again.

> address@hidden:~$ echo $PATH
> /usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games:/usr/local/games
>
> address@hidden:~$ echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH
> /usr/local/lib:/usr/local/lib64/:

Type

  ldconfig -v | grep gnuradio

I'm not sure if gnuradio actually modifies the /etc/ld.so.conf.d files.

If there is output note the version.

> address@hidden:~$ echo $C_INCLUDE_PATH (this is empty)
>
> address@hidden:~$ echo $CPLUS_INCLUDE_PATH (this is empty)
>
> At least last time gnuradio-companion seemed to open; now it doesn't
> work at all>
>
> 4) Though I know this next step is a fruitless endeavor, I gave it a
> shot anyway: when I actually run my python file, now it's giving a
> segfault; previously it was the "No module named tutorial" error. This
> probably is because gnuradio-companion can't even open.
>
> I seemed to have regressed, but I do feel like everything should work
> correctly if I was able to clean everything fully and just do these
> instructions from scratch (or at the very least get gnuradio-companion
> working and get my python flowgraph to start running even slightly
> again). I'm not sure this is the right approach though.

You're headed in the right direction. Even though you crash and burn,
typically these type of problem are minor. If you re-install you may
just end up reproducing the problem.