Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Getting really confused by PSK mod/demod blocks

From: Kyeong Su Shin
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Getting really confused by PSK mod/demod blocks
Date: Thu, 4 May 2017 08:06:57 -0700

Dear Pierre:

In my experience, that is just how the PSK demod block is - it misses a few symbols at the beginning, because of the blind synchronization & equalization process. It receives fine after that, but you cannot simply pack the bits to bytes and get acceptable results. This is not really problematic in the real-world scenarios, since you will have to detect the beginning of the packets anyway..

The quickest fix will be adding a packet encoder and packet decoder to your flow graph. It may miss a bit of data, but at least you should get readable outputs.

(Also, I am not sure if you can actually suffer from the phase ambiguity in this configuration, but I believe that you have to set "Differental Encoding" to "yes" to make it a DBPSK modulator / demodulator).

Regards,
Kyeong Su Shin