Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] UHD USRP Source for B2x0 overflows File Sink

From: Murphy, John
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] UHD USRP Source for B2x0 overflows File Sink
Date: Mon, 11 May 2015 16:49:14 -0400

Date: Sun, 10 May 2015 17:18:58 -0400
From: "Marcus D. Leech" <address@hidden>
You could try a simple experiment that tests your disk subsystem write
performance without SDR stuff at all.  Something like:
time dd if=/dev/zero of=some-file-on-your-disk bs=2000000 count=15000
This should write a 30GB file.   The 'time' command will report how long
it took.  Then it's just a simple matter of math to figure out what your
achievable long-term write rate is.

address@hidden Documents]$ /usr/bin/time dd if=/dev/zero
of=./thrutest bs=2000000 count=15000
15000+0 records in
15000+0 records out
30000000000 bytes (30 GB) copied, 54.9445 s, 546 MB/s
0.00user 15.17system 0:54.95elapsed 27%CPU (0avgtext+0avgdata 3964maxresident)k

That is 30GBytes written in about 55 seconds. That is 545 MBytes per
second, which it actually says in the command response.

So... I still do not see any long term or average throughput problem
here. Although even if it had said 69 MBytes/sec I would still think
that is enough to handle 56 MBytes/sec average rate under the right
circumstances.
So... do I now need to do some sort of buffer setup to handle the data
flow during periods the system is too busy to write to the disk, or
the disk is too busy to be written to?
I already have the UHD USRP Source with num_recv_frames=1024 (have
also tried 512). In this version of UHD (3.8.1) you have to enter this
in the Device Arguments param space without quotes.
I also see the advanced tab of all the blocks that has the minimum and
maximum output buffer sizes.
But... I know nothing about how any of these work, certainly not in a
quantitative sense anyhow.

Or am I still missing some reason why this will never work at all?

- John

John Murphy
address@hidden