Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Channel Impulse Response

From: Nazmul Islam
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Channel Impulse Response
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2012 16:39:15 -0500

Hello Daviko,

I used gnuradio in channel sounding experiments during the summer. I did not use gr-sounder. Rather, I designed my own transmitter and receiver block diagrams using GRC.

You can do both sliding correlator and frequency domain channel sounding using GNUradio. Sliding correlator method directly generates the channel impulse response. Frequency domain sounding allows you to find the impulse response through inverse FFT procedure. There might be other methods that I am unaware of.

In general, the frequency domain channel sounding method gives you the channel strengths at different carrier frequencies.Let's say, your desired frequency band is 700-720 MHz region. You can transmit a sinusoid from the transmitter that repeatedly hops at 700, 701, 702, ..., 720, 700, 701, .. , 720 MHz. Your receiver's carrier frequency should hop repeatedly in the same list. If you can time synchronize your Tx & Rx, you will know the path loss by taking FFT and observing the strength of the floating points in the desired FFT bin.

Thanks,

Nazmul