Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] streaming from file

From: Tom Rondeau
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] streaming from file
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2012 22:42:10 -0500

On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 4:32 PM, Nowlan, Sean
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi all,
>

> I am working on a custom block that tags a stream based on a binary file
> stretched into unpacked form:
>

> (1)                              (2)
> (3)
>
> gr_file_source(repeat=false) --> gr_packed_to_unpacked(1, gr.MSB_FIRST) -->
> my_block
>

> I want to come up with a good way to detect in my_block whether the stream
> input from (2) is finished. I guess gr_file_source will return WORK_DONE
> first, but I don’t know if/how that ripples down to my_block. Basically I
> want to be able to tag the last incoming sample with an end-of-burst tag,
> but I don’t know how to do this without having advance knowledge about the
> size of the source file.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Sean

Sean,

Yeah, you won't be able to tell if you're at the end of the file or if
the scheduler just passed you 0 items to process. There's no
indication of that.

Probably the easiest thing for you to do is quickly edit the file
source block to generate the tag when it reaches EOF. That should be
pretty straight-forward.

Tom