Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Building new blocks in Gnu Radio

From: Ben Reynwar
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Building new blocks in Gnu Radio
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 10:22:39 -0700

On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 10:42 AM, Francisco
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Ben Reynwar <ben <at> reynwar.net> writes:
>

>> I think that the best way to get started is to use Martins gr-modtool.
>>  It will help you to make out-of-tree blocks (out-of-tree means
>> separate but compatible with your main gnuradio installation).
>>
>> It can be found at:
>> https://github.com/mbant/gr-modtool
>>
>> On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 2:58 AM, Ebtisam Ahmed <ebtisamahmed90 <at>
>> gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> > Indeed i have read but i cant understand the building process. I built
>> > it the i understood but it failed terribly, i have made .h .cc .i and
>> > makefile.am. Put them in one folder and then done make. i also tried
>> > ./configure and ./bootstrap but it doesnt work
>> >
>> > Anyways thanx for ur time and help me on this....
>> >
>> > Regards,
>> > Ebtisam

> Hi all,
>
> I've decided to follow your suggestion and get gr_modtool.py.
>
> First I created the module with this script which created some folders, files
> and the .cc and .h files with skeleton code.
>
> Then I put my code in the .cc and .h files. I also changed the .xml file so I
> can use GRC (I haven't used python yet to create graphs).
>
> After this, I used cmake. I wrote:
>>cmake -i
>>sudo make
>>sudo make install
>>sudo ldconfig
>
> These were my steps to build a new block to use in GRC. However, I get this
> error:
>
> ImportError: /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-
> packages/mycoolstuff/_mycoolstuff_swig.so: undefined symbol:
> _Z38mycoolstuff_make_decimated_average_vccifi
>
> Yes. My module and block are called mycoolstuff and decimated_average_vcc.cc
>
> It seems that there is a problem with the swig. Do I have to configure
> anything
> in the .i files before starting to use cmake?

The only thing that 'must' be edited are the gr_make_io_signature
arguments in the .cc file, although without editing the work function
you won't get much signal processing going on.
All the swig stuff should be taken care of by gr-modtool.

You can test whether it's working in python by doing:
from mycoolstuff import decimated_average_vcc
that way you can get it working without worrying about the grc stuff.