[Discuss-gnuradio] GNU Radio Conference 2011

From: Tuan (Johnny) Ta
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] GNU Radio Conference 2011
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2011 20:31:48 -0400

I'm very excited for the upcoming conference. The issue is I haven't worked on GNU Radio for almost a year. And I see that there're quite a few changes. Even when I was working with GNU Radio, I couldn't say that I was very comfortable with it.

So my question is in the next 2 weeks, what can I do the best prepare myself for the conference?

I'm a grad student in Communications and Signal Processing. I plan to use GNU Radio (and USRP2) to implement systems that my research leads me too (as you can see I still have too vague of an idea about research topics). The systems might start simple as a way to measure the wireless channel in different conditions, to more complicated as real-time video streaming, or even a full-blown WiMAX receiver.

In the past I've had a lot of problems with debugging GNU Radio codes. Debugging techniques are certainly among the things I want to learn out of the conference.

Some other goals I can think of:
- Development process: should I start with Matlab simulation code, or should I jump straight into the C++ blocks.
- Representing results: is it convenient to use the QT interface, or dumping data into a file and work with Matlab is easier. I have never used the QT interface.
- Staying up-to-date with the new features such as VOLK, stream tags

It's a pity that the hackathon is called off. I was really looking forward to seeing some of the GNU Radio top developers actually writing codes.

Thank you,
Johnny