Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] multi_usrp

From: Marcus D. Leech
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] multi_usrp
Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2011 20:02:21 -0400

On 08/01/2011 07:55 PM, john wrote:

Thanks, again, Marcus. I had looked at the usrp_ra_receiver in
gr-radio-astronomy and saw getting DB_ID but in my ignorance, when I was
told that SBX or DBSRX2 were only supported under UHD, I thought that I
could/should not use USRP methods; I had assumed that the two
personalities used their own firmware and I would need to tell the
system to use USRP personality and go out and query boards etc. (maybe
even non-UHD only boards) and then delete that instance and create one
in UHD which do the real work under UHD.

        Kind Regards,

          John

gr-radio-astronomy is old, old, old, old, and you shouldn't use it as a guide for anything these days.

Generally, you don't need to care about what the actual boards are.

If you use the UHD interface, the daughter-cards are abstracted for the most part, and the bulk of your flow-graph
  doesn't need to care.

In one of my flow-graphs, I use uhd_usrp_probe external to the flow-graph to determine tuning ranges and gain ranges, and pass this on to downstream "stuff". But in general, your DSP flow-graph doesn't need to care that much. You have a UHD source, it produces samples, you do stuff with those samples. The only time you really care that much is to set limits on things like Frequency and Gain GUI inputs, etc. And I tend to just use a shell-script wrapper around uhd_usrp_probe to get params that I
  just pass into the flow-graph on startup.

--
Marcus Leech
Principal Investigator