Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Channelizing

From: Colby Boyer
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Channelizing
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2011 22:14:23 -0700

On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 8:32 PM, Marcus D. Leech <address@hidden> wrote:
I'm working on a multi-channel radiometer, based on USRP2 with the
dual-DDC feature.

I'm trying to come up with channelizing structure that won't overwhelm
my CPU--I'm using
 a 6-core Phenom II 1055T, with 4GB of 1333MHz memory.

I need to be able to carve-off 4 channels, with widths between 100KHz
and 500Khz, anywhere within
 25MHz of the center frequency.

I've tried a single 25MHz input channel, then carving it up with 4 FIR
filters.  That produces massive
 'O', no matter how sloppy I make the channel filters.

I've tried a pair of 12.5MHz channels (using the dual-DDC feature that's
relatively new). That produces
 massive 'O'.

Since ultimately, I'm mostly interesting in channel power estimates, I
might just FFT it, and pick off
 the bin(s) that correspond to my channels.

Is one or two polyphase filter banks going to be cheaper?  And how do I
compute the taps?  There
 doesn't appear to be a helper function for that in GRC :-(

--
Principal Investigator
Shirleys Bay Radio Astronomy Consortium