Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Packet Decoder block malfunction after demodulati

From: John Andrews
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Packet Decoder block malfunction after demodulation!
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2011 11:03:14 -0500

On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 9:53 AM, Vlad Stoianovici <address@hidden> wrote:

Dear list,
I'm using a typical UHD USRP source (USRP2) --> Low-Pass filter --> GMSK
Demod --> Packet Decoder --> File Sink receiver flow-graph in GnuRadio to
receive the signal I'm transmitting with a mirrored transmitting flow.
The problem is that the Packet Decoder (Output type - "byte"; Access Code -
field left blank; Threshold -" -1") doesn't really do anything, the signal
streams blocks there, and the file that the File Sink should create with the
data from Packet Decoder is always empty.
The rest of the flow-graph seems to be working properly, I can visualize the
received signal, that seems to be the same as the transmitted one.

Are you sure its not doing what its supposed to do? Look at the work() function
in your packet decoder. If the input doesn't fit the requirement of the algorithm to
produce the output then it won't produce anything at its output. Think of it this way.
Suppose the packet decoder block produces output items only when the input is greater
than the threshold = T. If the input is constantly under T then there is nothing produced.

If I take out the Packet Decoder, the file that results form the File Sink
has a size larger than 0 bytes, which leads me to believe that the problem
is with this block.
Any ideas or similar problems?
Thanks,

Vlad.