[Discuss-gnuradio] decoding NTSC tv

From: open bts
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] decoding NTSC tv
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2011 09:12:50 -1000

I'm looking to decode NTSC with my gnuradio.  I found this
http://www.danielgarcia.info/thesis/ online where someone used
an older USRP and gnuradio version to decode NTSC and PAL.
I was able to mangle his script a bit to run with newer gnuradio
and UHD.  (I hard-coded in some of the parameters for quick
testing, it needs some polish once completed).
However I still just get a black screen, so we're not
all the way there yet.

Anyone around familiar with this code?  The original code seemed
to have a sample rate of around 1Ms/sec (ie. adc rate 64M decimated
64 times, if I read the code correctly).  Is this enough for a tv signal?
It looks like an NTSC channel is around 6M wide (with color and
sound), right?

I'm going to try to get a stronger signal to test with and play with
it some more, but if anyone is interested in helping, I'd welcome
the assistance.