Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Question about SMA-SMA coaxial cable

From: Nick Foster
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Question about SMA-SMA coaxial cable
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2011 09:03:58 -0700

On Wed, 2011-06-08 at 17:50 +0900, Songsong Gee wrote:
> I have a question about SMA-SMA coaxial cable offered by Ettus
>

> Does this cable have an antenna effect?
> In other words, if I use this cable, receive gain or some performance
> measure is better than what I expected due to this cable becoming a
> kind of antenna.
> Currently I'm looking for a certain cable which does not have such
> effect for very wide frequency range including very low frequency
> range i.e. DC to 400-500 MHz

No coaxial cable should act as an antenna except through shield leakage,
which is VERY low, especially at low frequencies. To verify that this is
the case, attach a 50 ohm SMA termination to the end of your coaxial
cable and measure the amount of signal coming into your USRP. It should
be next to none. If it isn't, it's possible your SMA cable is damaged
and has a disconnected shield.

--n