Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] A few words on development

From: Michael Dickens
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] A few words on development
Date: Fri, 20 May 2011 07:32:05 -0400

On May 17, 2011, at 5:39 PM, Tom Rondeau wrote:
> What I'm now seeing, and this where the recent UHD apps comes in, is that
> there we really have a lack of developers.

> What it seems to come down to is a lack of initiative. We are all willing to
> wait until someone else does something for us, and then report on the
> problems. But it's hard to start something and push it out there.

Hi Tom - Related to this thread, this blog post about Qt's developer hierarchy
might be interesting.  GNU Radio isn't nearly as huge as Qt, but maybe it could
benefit from a similar hierarchy -- which is already in place to some degree,
but maybe having such a post or wiki page would help solidify it. - MLD

<
http://labs.qt.nokia.com/2011/05/20/open-governance-roles-and-responsibilities/

Last week, in my blog on the Maturity Level List and in the previous week’s
Maturity Levels, I left some indications of what would be expected of a
maintainer of a portion of the Qt codebase. In this blog I’d like to explain a
bit more what’s expected of people working via the Qt Open Governance, what
roles will exist and what responsibilities will each have.

In short, there will be three levels only:

        • Contributor
        • Approver
        • Maintainer

The presence of a “Chief Maintainer” is not exactly a fourth level. More on
that below.