Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GRC pure FSK with USRP1 board sampling troubles

From: Marcus D. Leech
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GRC pure FSK with USRP1 board sampling troubles
Date: Thu, 19 May 2011 21:57:28 -0400

On 05/19/2011 09:49 PM, ikjtel wrote:

> We're assuming that the design specs for our app say that:
> "USRP underruns are totally unacceptable"
>  (is this a realistic goal to have in the "real world"?)

While extended underruns are problematic, a short underrun should be
equivalent to
  a noise-burst of some sort occurring on the channel.  These are, after
all, radio channels
  we're talking about.  They need to be reasonably robust in the face of
"stuff you can't control".

In the real world, glitches happen on analog channels.  Which is why you
develop techniques to
  cope with them.  I see the occasional underrun/overrun as equivalent
to these glitches.  You'd
  rather they not happen often enough that they seriously impact your
channel BER.

--
Principal Investigator
Shirleys Bay Radio Astronomy Consortium