Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] QAM demod Error in GRC

From: Marcus D. Leech
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] QAM demod Error in GRC
Date: Thu, 19 May 2011 14:47:01 -0400

On 19/05/2011 1:21 PM, Robert McGwier wrote:
Vlad

It is apparent to me that you did not understand Josh's explanation. Possibly he was not forceful enough. ;-).

This is not an error. It is the mathematical consequence of doing QAM with rotational symmetries. YOU MUST provide your OWN synchronization to remove the phase ambiguity. It is not a bug or an error. It is a feature. It is the mathematical nature of the beast.

Bob

Perhaps I have only part of the conversation here, but it sounds like the main complaint is that there are internal errors inside the QAMx, x=8,16,64,256 demod blocks--they're implemented as hierarchical blocks in Python.

Looking into it, it seems like there still aren't any implementations of QAMx demodulators--what is there is basically a hollow shell that
  does nothing useful.