[Discuss-gnuradio] Developers' Call, May 19, 2011

From: Tom Rondeau
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Developers' Call, May 19, 2011
Date: Thu, 19 May 2011 10:11:53 +0100

We will be having our monthly Developers' conference call today.

Date: May 19, 2011
Time: 10 PM UTC (6 PM EDT, 3 PM PDT)
SIP: sip:address@hidden
IRC: #gnuradio on freenode

I am traveling and on a semi-holiday right now, and it is unlikely that I can make the call today. Johnathan Corgan will be leading it, instead. Can someone who is online today try to take good notes in the IRC channel and email me the log?

Agenda items:
- Begin work on next for GNU Radio 3.5:
    - Add cmake build structure.
        - We want to start exploring using cmake instead of autotools. We should be able to have parallel build systems to work with until we figure out which one "wins" and then remove the other. This might take a few version cycles.

    - add gr-digital. I've been working on some enhancements to some of the digital modulation blocks. We will add this to gr-digital and deprecate their counterparts in gnuradio-core. This is the first step in splitting up the core into more appropriate components.

    - adding uhd examples/apps. Start relying less on USRP code for all our examples; have gr-usrp/apps, gr-usrp2/apps, and gr-uhd/apps. I made some start on this and more needs to be done.

    - Work on making a consistent API and naming scheme. Based on M. Dickens' suggestion. As part of the coding standard guide, we should make the block names and certain aspects of the API for each block clear (http://gnuradio.org/redmine/wiki/gnuradio/Coding_guide).

    - Start using Volk for gnuradio-core blocks. Need to ensure it works on the E100 and then start integrating Volk into blocks to improve efficiency of our code.

- Some updates on the GR conference.

- There has been a lot of discussion on the mailing list about the project. If anyone has any more to say to help us make development and contributions easier, we should talk about them.

Thanks!
Tom