[Discuss-gnuradio] Removing X11 dependency for Mac OS X builds of GNU Ra

From: Elvis Dowson
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Removing X11 dependency for Mac OS X builds of GNU Radio using Mac Ports
Date: Wed, 18 May 2011 21:17:20 +0400

Hi Michael,
                       Have you considered removing the X11 dependency for the
Mac OS X version of GNU Radio from the Mac Ports build system?

Over the past 3 days, I've experimented with various hardware and software
combinations (iMac 27", Thinkpad T42p, Ubuntu 11.04 32-bit & 64-bit, Mac OS X
10.6.7).

About a year ago, if you recall, I managed to build GRC with GTK+ instead of
X11, and also got wxwidgets to work with carbon (i think for 32-bit) and
gnuradio. I think I shared the technote with the list earlier. I can re-send if
you would like, it a long list that manually gives steps by step instructions
to build it without using Mac Ports.

I've just done a fresh install of Mac OS X on my iMac. I have two options:

a. use Mac Ports to build GNU Radio, but I don't like seeing X11 windows on Mac
OS X because they look so primitive its a crime to run it and work on X11 on
Mac OS X.

b. try to rebuild GNU Radio 3.4.0 on Mac OS X, and see what the state of the
libraries are for supporting 64-bit cocoa for the key components that affect
the rendering of the windows on Mac OS X, which mostly boil down to the Cario
libraries and wxwidgets.

Is it possible, by any chance, to generate a list of all dependent libraries
and their versions, that Mac Ports uses to build the gnu radio 3.4.0
installation?

I can scan this list, and review it one by one, and try to rebuild gnu radio,
manually once again to get it to run without X11.

If I can have that manual procedure working, you could use that info to update
Mac Ports to get gnuradio to build, hopefully with native carbon or cocoa, than
GTK+ or X11.

Best regards,

Elvis Dowson