Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] gr-audio: one component to rule them all

From: Tom Rondeau
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] gr-audio: one component to rule them all
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 19:22:47 -0400

On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 1:39 PM, Josh Blum <address@hidden> wrote:

> (To be clear, I want to specify the architecture (alsa, portaudio,
> windows, etc.), not the device name.)

Aha, my first guess.

> For my applications, I have used
>  from gnuradio import audio_portaudio as audio
>
> to get good results from any system I run them on, including the
> temporary Cygwin and MinGW installations I use for testing.  For
> testing, it would be nice to be able to specify the architecture
> to test on the command line of the test program.
>
> Could we have optional arguments to audio.{source,sink} to specify
> the architecture (default="auto") and whether the specified
> architecture is required or only preferred?

* maybe we need a 4th parameter "required_architecture" to the constructor

* or some static class methods like set_required_architecture(arch), and
get_available_architectures()

just a thought

I agree with the idea of being able to specify the subsystem (alsa, oss, portaudio, osx, windows, jack, etc.) in the constructor. Obviously, it should gracefully fail if you ask for an unsupported arch.

> As an aside, I have never known where to find the documentation
> for the configuration (or is it preferences?) file(s) (yes, I found
> the info for gr-audio in the README file).  Maybe we need a FAQ
> entry telling about config.conf, common options, and what to search for
> in the code for the less common options.

like a wiki page for standard gnuradio configuration options?
(liking this idea)

-Josh

I definitely agree with the wiki page idea. Perhaps just add to a README the website address so there's some local clue as to how to get the information.

Thanks!
Tom