Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] USRP Streaming Latency

From: Tom Hendrick
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] USRP Streaming Latency
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 14:45:38 -0700 (PDT)

Josh..

Thanks, real time scheduling is enabled, and I run my python script with sudo and I do not see the typical failure message saying real-time was not enabled.

When I run the C++ program in one terminal and output the modulated signal to a normal file, I can read that file in with my python script and see the output on the USRP with no gaps like I was seeing before.  The problem is that this isn't real-time and I am  writing to a file with the C++ program that grows with time.  I did however not see any uU underruns with the USRP so I am pretty sure the laptop can handle running both the C++ and the python script at the same time.

I'm guessing its some type of buffer size issue.  The C++ program flushes packet by packet.  When I run the C++ program and output to a fifo file and do cat tempfifo.dat > check.dat, the check.dat shows none of that latency or zero signal when I open it afterwards.  Could it be that the USRP or GRC script has a much smaller buffer size than the packet generated by the C++ program?

Does anyone else have any ideas on what I should try?

Thanks-Tom