Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] choice of antenna and daughter board

From: Mark J. Blair
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] choice of antenna and daughter board
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2011 14:58:14 -0800

On Mar 3, 2011, at 2:34 AM, ranjini ram wrote:
> can any body tell which is the antenna and daughter board that has to be used
> in receiving FM...which is the best TVRX of Basic RX?

Any antenna or daughter board can receive FM transmissions. FM is just a
modulation type, and it can be used at any frequency, and with other variations
such as different amounts of frequency deviation. The point of a
software-defined radio is that it can send and/or receive *any* modulation type
within its constraints of center frequency, bandwidth, and (in some cases)
latency.

The question is, what frequency range do you need to be able to receive? For
example, FM broadcast band transmissions (i.e., what a car stereo can receive)
occur between 88 MHz and 108 MHz in the US. FM amateur radio or commercial
radio transmissions might occur anywhere between around 27 MHz and well over 1
GHz. The frequency range(s) you need to cover will determine which daughter
board(s) might work for you.

Your antenna selection will depend on the frequency range(s) you need to cover,
as well as other constraints such as required polarization, directional gain,
etc.

So, what exactly are you interested in receiving?

--
Mark J. Blair, NF6X <address@hidden>
Web page: http://www.nf6x.net/