Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Using UHD, trying to tx and rx samples simultaneo

From: Josh Blum
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Using UHD, trying to tx and rx samples simultaneously
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 20:35:22 -0800

> If Im always just sending a burst message when I tx, is it safe to say that
> I should always have the EOB flag set?  My messages may be as large as a few

I believe so, see below

> thousand bytes, but I dont plan to do any continuous streaming.  Currently,
> the Tx thread has a queue that it just works off where each item in the
> queue is a message that could be as large as a few thousand samples.  The
> thread wakes up  every so many ms and then says Hey! theres messages to send
> and then one-by-one sends each message as a burst.

To get the terminology strait. It sounds like that each time the thread
"wakes" up to send, its sending a new burst.

The burst flags convey to the driver and the hardware that the samples
presented are part of one continuous stream. Suppose you have a
continuous stream of samples. The first call to send should have start
of burst set, and the last call should have end of burst set. If you
send all the samples in a single call to send, then set both start and
end of burst flags.

This code needlessly fragments a send operation into several smaller
ones as an example of how to use the flags:
http://code.ettus.com/redmine/ettus/projects/uhd/repository/revisions/master/entry/host/examples/tx_timed_samples.cpp#L94

-josh