Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Greeting and a question

From: Sanjay Singh
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Greeting and a question
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2011 21:42:10 +0530

Hi all,

Am disappointed with the way GNURadio is getting into.

I see all the discussion around is to promote the products of Ettus Research.

Agreed!. Great work from Ettus Research.

But there are many boards available which are far better in capability vs price. I don't want to mention them here to deviate the concern.

During the market for USRP1, no one in the forum focused discussion on embedded platform. When queries regarding any such embedded platform was posted, there were lot of quotes saying GNURadio is focused on developing SDR framework based on Desktop based solution. With Ettus Research coming out with USRP E100, everyone on is bouncing on embedded platform.

I wonder; Is GNURadio biased with Ettus Reserch ?. My obvious understanding is NO!.

Its the community of people driving Ettus products into market. The potential of doing so is to make money. Either way, Ettus Research is now part of National Instruments and may be now GNURadio be delinked with Ettus Research for being open source. There are many people who can contribute low cost open source solutions.

Initially, all the Hardware and software was part of GNURadio. All the files was part of free source available to download and use. In around a year or so all the files from GNURadio were moved out separating hardware and software. All the hardware related files were not available after this. Why so, no one knows.

The boards when purchased from Ettus Research it was under terms and conditions as free open source schematics for motherboard and free open source schematics and pcb files.

Its time now for the community of people interested in building free open source platform including both software and Hardware to come out with an complete open source low cost solution.

S---