Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] UHD won't work with GRC

From: Fabian Klaes
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] UHD won't work with GRC
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2011 16:21:40 +0100

First of all, thank you for your advice.
Now i encountered another Problem:
At first i updated UHD via git pull, then i did (from the "build" directory)
cmake ../
make
make test
sudo make install

everything works fine (well, not everything, but at least the installation ;-) ).

Then i went to my gnuradio directory and did:
git checkout next
git clean -xf
git pull

# GNU Radio release is now v3.3.1git-865-gd429522b instead of v3.3.1git-865-gd429522, but this should be newer

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$BOOST_PREFIX/lib
./bootstrap
./configure --with-boost=$BOOST_PREFIX

# ./configure now includes gr-uhd, so this problem is solved. Thanks again!

make

Then, make fails with:
Making install in swig
make[5]: Betrete Verzeichnis '/home/fs/gnuradio-git/gnuradio/usrp/host/swig'
make  install-am
make[6]: Betrete Verzeichnis '/home/fs/gnuradio-git/gnuradio/usrp/host/swig'
make[6]: *** Keine Regel vorhanden, um das Target »usrp_prims.cc«,
  benötigt von »_usrp_prims_la-usrp_prims.lo«, zu erstellen.  Schluss.
make[6]: Verlasse Verzeichnis '/home/fs/gnuradio-git/gnuradio/usrp/host/swig'
make[5]: *** [install] Fehler 2
make[5]: Verlasse Verzeichnis '/home/fs/gnuradio-git/gnuradio/usrp/host/swig'
make[4]: *** [install-recursive] Fehler 1
make[4]: Verlasse Verzeichnis '/home/fs/gnuradio-git/gnuradio/usrp/host'
make[3]: *** [install-recursive] Fehler 1
make[3]: Verlasse Verzeichnis '/home/fs/gnuradio-git/gnuradio/usrp'
make[2]: *** [install] Fehler 2
make[2]: Verlasse Verzeichnis '/home/fs/gnuradio-git/gnuradio/usrp'
make[1]: *** [install-recursive] Fehler 1
make[1]: Verlasse Verzeichnis '/home/fs/gnuradio-git/gnuradio'
make: *** [install] Fehler 2

Sorry, that it's in german, heres the translation:
Betrete Verzeichnis = Entering directory
Verlasse Verzeichnis = Leaving directory
Fehler = Error

And the (probably) critical part causing the error:
make[6]: *** Keine Regel vorhanden, um das Target »usrp_prims.cc«,
  benötigt von »_usrp_prims_la-usrp_prims.lo«, zu erstellen.  Schluss.
make[6]: *** No Rule given, for making Target »usrp_prims.cc«,
  needed by »_usrp_prims_la-usrp_prims.lo«.  Ending.

If you (or anyone else) got another hint on how to solve this i would be really glad.

Thanks again and in advance

Fabian

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 3:11 PM, Alexandru Csete <address@hidden> wrote:
On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 2:51 PM, Fabian Klaes <address@hidden> wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> i somehow can't get the UHD working with GRC. Detecting an USRP2 with
> uhd_find_devices works just fine.
> I am building from git (master) (what should include the UHD since today.
> I'm also seeing the gr-uhd directory.)

The merging of next -> master was announced for UHD, not for GNU
Radio. You need:
UHD master branch
GNU Radio next branch
see http://ettus-apps.sourcerepo.com/redmine/ettus/projects/uhd/wiki

> I think that the issue is with ./configure, because there i can't find
> gr-uhd when ./configure is finished. It prints:

> The following components were skipped either because you asked not
> to build them or they didn't pass configuration checks:
>
> usrp2-firmware
>
> These components will not be built.

> The following GNU Radio components have been successfully configured:
>
> config
> gruel
> gnuradio-core
> usrp
> usrp2
> gr-usrp
> gr-usrp2
> gr-msdd6000
> gr-audio-alsa
> gr-audio-oss
> gr-atsc
> gr-cvsd-vocoder
> gr-gpio
> gr-gsm-fr-vocoder
> gr-noaa
> gr-pager
> gr-radar-mono
> gr-radio-astronomy
> gr-trellis
> gr-video-sdl
> gr-wxgui
> gr-qtgui
> gr-sounder
> gr-utils
> gnuradio-examples
> grc
> docs
>
> You my now run the make command to build these components.

> The following components were skipped either because you asked not
> to build them or they didn't pass configuration checks:
>
> gcell
> gr-gcell
> gr-audio-jack
> gr-audio-osx
> gr-audio-portaudio
> gr-audio-windows
> gr-comedi
>
> These components will not be built.
>
> Configured GNU Radio release v3.3.1git-144-gf294603d for build.

This number is for the master branch. The correct revision id for the
next branch is (was earlier today) v3.3.1git-865-gd429522

> But gr-uhd is neither in the components that will be build, nor in those,
> that won't be build.
>
> I also tried ./configure --enable-gr-uhd but that didn't change a thing :-(
>

> If you got any ideas on how to proceed, please let me know.

Aside from using the correct GNU Radio branch (next) you also need to
install UHD first, otherwise the GNU Radio configure script will not
detect it and will skip it.

Alex