Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] OFDM receiver on USRP2

From: Tom Rondeau
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] OFDM receiver on USRP2
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 18:17:34 -0500

On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 7:36 PM, Guanbo <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi, Tom
>
> I am not quite understand the ofdm_sync_xx.cc in python/gnuradio/blks2impl/.
>
> What is the difference between frequency synchronization and carrier
> frequency offset.
> Why we have to do the timing and frequency synchronization before it?
>
> Thanks,
> Guanbo

There is the difference between the fine frequency tuning (centering
the signal inside of a subcarrier) and coarse frequency tunning
(making sure that subcarrier 0 is at the correct location). The
ofdm_sync_xx blocks perform the timing and fine frequency calculations
(the self.nco in ofdm_receiver.py is generated from the fine frequency
offset from the sync block). This is required before being able to
perform the FFT demo, or else you'll get inter-carrier interference.

We can then go into the frequency domain (after the FFT) and work on
the subcarrier bins to handle the coarse frequency offset, since it is
easier to do in this domain.

Tom