Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Building an RF Front end for DSP FPGA Kits with A

From: Marcus D. Leech
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Building an RF Front end for DSP FPGA Kits with ADCs
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 17:34:19 -0500

Thanks Marcus.

The reason why I do not want to attenuate is because I want to receive a
high-powered signal and low-powered signal at the same frequency.

If I attenuate then the low-powered signal will be reduced and if I go
beyond the noise floor, I might see it.  The goal was to stretch the
difference in power between the high-powered signal and the low-power.  But
now if I think about it no matter what I will be limited to my Dynamic
Range.

Yes, given that perfectly-acceptable signals can arrive at the front-end at -90dBm or lower, and you want to be able to "see" +30dBm at the same time, you'll need roughly 120dB of dynamic range. But +30dBm is about 7.07VRMS, or about 10VP. There's no way on gods little green earth that you're going to find an ADC that can sample at 100Msps or more, and have a peak input voltage of +10VP (+7VRMS), and have a 120dB dynamic range. Let alone a receiver front-end RF chain that can tolerate anything more than about +15dBm or so.

For 120dB dynamic range, you'd need a 20-bit ADC, *and* it would need to run at a fast sample rate, *and* it would need to be
  able to handle +10VP input.  Not gonna happen.

I'm curious about why you need to inject +30dBm into a receiver. You're getting no more information out of that signal than if
  it arrived at -30dBm.

--
Marcus Leech
Principal Investigator