Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Re: A Humble Request.... - "Open-Hardware"

From: J.D. Bakker
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Re: A Humble Request.... - "Open-Hardware"
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2011 18:31:14 +0100

At 18:07 +0100 09-01-2011, Moeller wrote:
On 09.01.2011 05:48, Brian Padalino wrote:
 > competent, I doubt this line of questioning will be any better than
 interrogating a brick wall.
It's not a wrong question to ask for cheaper hardware that everybody can afford.

It is if you're not willing to invest the time and money to make it happen.

As has been discussed several times in the past decade-and-a-half, the realities of free/open hardware are significantly different than those of FOSS. Prototyping costs, closed firmware toolchains and the fluidity of parts sourcing are but a few of the obstacles. While anyone with a computer (which can be essentially free if you settle for older hardware) can contribute to the software side, hardware development costs real money, and those of us who aren't eccentric millionaires need *some* way of recuperating our costs.

JD "wishing don't make it so" B.
[of course, if you are willing and able many here will help you review your design]
--
LART. 250 MIPS under one Watt. Free hardware design files.
http://www.lartmaker.nl/