Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] segmentation fault (core dump) -- help needed

From: Steven Clark
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] segmentation fault (core dump) -- help needed
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2010 10:00:42 -0500

On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 7:59 AM, Martin Braun <address@hidden> wrote:

Even in an old version, this should not happen. However, if you do have
an old version, I recommend upgrading to at least 3.3.0 and trying
again. Once it works, you'll simply have much more fun (read:
functionality) with a newer GNU Radio.

Hi Thomas-

Welcome to linux...it's often a jungle of confusion and strange syntax :)
I think what Martin is suggesting (correct me if I'm wrong) is something along the lines of the following:

remove the gnuradio stuff that you got via yum (as that comes from a source that is sometimes out-of-date vs what's on the gnuradio web site):

yum remove gnuradio
yum remove gnuradio-examples
yum remove usrp

Then go to http://gnuradio.org/releases/gnuradio/ and download gnuradio-3.3.0.tar.gz
Unzip that using the tar command (I believe the syntax is something like "tar -xvf gnuradio-3.3.0.tar.gz")
cd into the resulting directory, then run:

./configure
make
make check
sudo make install    (if you haven't used sudo before, check this out: http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/mjm-fedora-f9.html#sudo )

If any of those steps give errors, report back what they say.

-Steven

PS: If it is usually the case that package managers contain obsolete versions of gnuradio, maybe we should put some more obvious warnings in the install guides against using them?