Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] UHD query PPS

From: David Evans
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] UHD query PPS
Date: Sun, 23 May 2010 03:18:16 -0700 (PDT)

Maybe I misunderstand how to synchronise...

if I have two usrp2s, and I do a set_time_next_pps(), there is a chance that
the pps could occur after the first call, so the second call will set the
second usrp a second later. I would need to know when there is a pps or seconds
transition prior to setup, then have one or two seconds to call
set_time_next_pps(). Ok, I could read the system time, but I would need a gps
with pps/ref out, and sync'd using ntpd or gpsd, and this may not be
guaranteed. Or I could just monitor the pps level via the serial port (DCD,
like ntpd does with nmea stream) to guarantee when the seconds tick over. If
the pps state could be read back from the usrp (approx 80ns rtt) however, this
would simplify the system and hardware requied (USB dongle, TTL to RS232
convertor, extra wires, etc...). So...

while (get_pps_level() == 0); // wait for rising edge
while (get_pps_level() == 1);

u1->set_time_next_pps(...); // We are guaranteed at least one second to issue
this to both usrp at once
u2->set_time_next_pps(...);

Cheers,
David