Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] 16 digital I/O lines to control external devices

From: Marcus D. Leech
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] 16 digital I/O lines to control external devices like antenna switches
Date: Fri, 21 May 2010 12:28:11 -0400

On 05/21/2010 10:08 AM, Harley Myler wrote:

> Well of course, but then it is "industry practice" to identify the
> separation; i.e., U1-A, U1-B, etc.

I've seen it done a number of different ways, some more confusing than
others, to be sure.

> Even better, but still hardly 16.

True enough, and I agree that the data sheet is somewhat misleading.  It
should either say
  "up to 16 I/O lines available for external devices", or each device
description should include
  the number of "uncommitted" I/O lines available (actually, the device
descriptions could use
  a general re-work to include more information about them in terms of
performance, functionality,
  etc, etc).  I think that what you're experiencing is a symptom of a
company whose customer
  base has grown faster than anticipated, and some of the "good
housekeeping" things, like
  really-detailed documentation, have suffered somewhat.  My
understanding is that this will
  get better over the next several months, as NI provides resources to
tackle some of the
  documentation.

> Now what is your explanation on the tokens?

None at all.  I guess that whoever drew them opted not to (or forgot) to
fill in the "housekeeping"
  fields on those schematic sheets.
> Note to list: Marcus is the tech support assistant for Ettus Research.

Yup, that's true.  Many on this list already know that--either because
they know me personally, or
  I've had interactions with them as Ettus customers.  I haven't made
any attempt to keep that a
  secret, but since I'm a self-employed technology freelancer, I make it
a policy not to
  explicitly advertise my relationships with my clients in public
fora--either because there's an
  NDA in place, or because it's just polite business practice.

--
Principal Investigator
Shirleys Bay Radio Astronomy Consortium