Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] UHD issues on Mac

From: Matthias Wilhelm
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] UHD issues on Mac
Date: Tue, 18 May 2010 20:55:22 +0200

Am 15.05.2010 um 00:02 schrieb Josh Blum:

> I believe that i have got a few success emails with mac os. The errors dont
> really make sense because its just userspace udp, which clearly works because
> of the find devices. It may be an fpga timing issue.
>
> I just pushed a bunch of new host code, and posted images .
>
> Can you give it a try:
> http://code.ettus.com/redmine/ettus/projects/public/wiki/U2binaries#UHD-Firmware-and-FPGA-Images
>
> Let me know, thanks!
> -Josh
>
> On 05/14/2010 09:54 AM, Matthias Wilhelm wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm currently trying the UHD driver on my macbook pro, with still very
>> limited success. I have the newest git version of uhd and gr-uhd, checked
>> out today.
>>
>> $ uhd_find_devices
>> -- UHD Device 0
>> name: USRP2
>> addr: 192.168.10.2
>>
>> which is good, but actually using a simple_source crashes in interesting
>> ways.
>>
>> When calling
>> u = uhd.simple_source("addr=192.168.10.2, recv_buff_size=3.5e6",
>> uhd.io_type_t.COMPLEX_FLOAT32)
>> or
>> u = uhd.simple_source("addr=192.168.10.2", uhd.io_type_t.COMPLEX_FLOAT32)
>>
>> I get the following:
>>> terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::runtime_error'
>>>   what():  No devices found for ----->
>>> addr: 192.168.10.2
>>> recv_buff_size: 3.5e6   ## nothing here with second version
>>>
>>> Abort trap
>>

>> The attached log file is crash-all.log.
>>
>> Just calling
>> u = uhd.simple_source("", uhd.io_type_t.COMPLEX_FLOAT32)
>>
>> Gives:
>>> terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::runtime_error'
>>>   what():  usrp2 no control response
>>> Abort trap
>>
>> with log file in crash-none.log.
>>
>> After each of the crashes, the uhd_find_devices still finds my USRP2, so the
>> firmware/FPGA is still running strong. Pinging 192.168.10.2 results in
>> request timeouts for icmp_seq. The firewall is turned off.
>>
>> Am I getting it wrong here, how should the driver be used? Or are there some
>> Mac-specific issues?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Matthias

Hi,

its working on the Mac and Linux with the new firmware and FPGA code, i can
generate a simple_source object now! But the samples I get don't seem right.

I'm using the XCRV2450 dboard, it says RX 0x0061 and TX 0x0060. With the raw
ethernet chain, I can receive WLAN signals, but with the UHD driver I see only
noise, something very low in the FFT sink (around -110dB), no matter what gain
or antenna ("", J1 or J2) I set. Its the same issue on Mac and Linux platforms.

But it seems that its almost working now...
Matthias