[Discuss-gnuradio] USB performance and Win32

From: Geof Nieboer
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] USB performance and Win32
Date: Tue, 6 May 2008 00:35:19 +0900

Good news, got a basic test version of gnuradio compiled in MSVC 2005, included a C# front end.  More details can be found on the http://www.gnuradio.org/trac/wiki/WindowsNativeInstall page.  Most of the key C++ code is in there, it will just need more managed interfaces built.  Right now, it can do one thing and one thing only so far, and that’s to run a clone of the usrp_benchmark_usb.py code.

It runs without error, but can’t exceed 8Mbps.  On the same machine running Cygwin, it gets the full 32Mbps.  The CPU utilization is similar between the two versions, under 10%.

The only thing I can see that’s different about how the code is running is that the MSVC version uses the createfilemapping circular buffer, while cygwin (I think?) uses MMAP.  Have there been any problems noted with createfilemapping?

Geof