[Discuss-gnuradio] Re: USRP IQ channels flipping during packet transmiss

From: Ketan Mandke
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Re: USRP IQ channels flipping during packet transmission
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 17:29:57 -0500

After some major debugging, I have found a fix for this problem. To
summarize the problem again: the transmitter seems to flip the IQ
channels at random during packet transmissions, even though I do not
make any changes to mux settings or other USRP settings. In order to
fix this bug, I had to modify the write method inside usrp_basic_tx.
The following has solved the problem:

int
usrp_basic_tx::write (const void *buf, int len, bool *underrun)
{
 int r;

 /*
  * Hydra Patch:
  * Disable transmitter before writing data to USB buffer
  */
 bool enable = disable_tx();

 /* ...... original code for usrp_basic_tx::write ...... */

 /*
  * Hydra Patch:
  * Enable transmitter after writing data to USB buffer
  */
 restore_tx(enable);

 return r;
}

Somehow, by disabling and re-enabling the transmitter around the write
operation, I was able to prevent the transmitter from randomly
flipping the IQ channels. Please let me know if you would like me to
elaborate further on this bug or the fix.

On 7/21/07, Ketan Mandke <address@hidden> wrote:

Eric,

Thanks for your quick response. In regards to your comments:

> Are you running one of our standard fpga images, or are you using one that
you have modified?

Yes. I am using the standard FPGA code distributed with GNU Radio (version
3.0.3 - the latest stable release). I did not write my own verilog code.

> It's seriously unlikely that the contents of the mux register is getting
randomly disturbed.

I am also skeptical that the mux register is randomly changing. However, I am
very certain that the transmitter is flipping the IQ channels. I have verified
that this is definitely happening at the transmitter. In the single antenna
transmitter, setting the mux value to (0x0098) prior to sending a packet seemed
to solve this problem, but not in the 2-antenna case. Perhaps some details
about my USRP setup and the nature of the bug that I'm observing might help in
understanding this problem.

Below is a boiled down list of method calls which describe how I've set up the
transmitter chain in our transceiver:
self.u = usrp.sink_c()
self.u.set_nchannels(2)
self.u.set_mux(gru.hexint(0xBA98) )
self.subdev1 = usrp.selected_subdev (self.u, (0,0) )
self.subdev2 = usrp.selected_subdev (self.u, (1,0) )
self.subdev1.set_auto_tr(True)
self.subdev2.set_auto_tr(True)

In our experiments we transmit packets, encoded using our MIMO physical layer,
across the USRP (after appropriate padding). I've observed that after some
random number of consecutive packets, I receive a packet whose I-Q channels
have been flipped. It took a considerable amount of effort to diagnose and
verify that this was the problem, but I am very certain now that this is what
is happening at the transmitter. I hope that this might shed some more light on
the problem and help in finding a solution.

--
Ketan Mandke

--
Ketan Mandke