Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] lost bytes and reed-solomon

From: Chris Albertson
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] lost bytes and reed-solomon
Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 09:20:51 -0700 (PDT)

--- "Brett L. Trotter" <address@hidden> wrote:

> But the thought was, what if a byte is completely obliterated- then
> everything would be shifted over one (or more) and my groupings
> wouldn't align

No it's not like that.  The transmitter clocks out
bits at a fixed rate.  When some of the bits are
covered with noise and "lost" the following bits
are not send backwards in time to take the place of
the "lost" bits.  So if I send "Hello World" and one
characters is lost you might get "Hello W rld" you
would not get "Hello Wld".  Bits come in fixed
"windows" of time and in every window you either
see a 1, 0, or "X" but the window of time does not
disappear.  Ok not a perfect example because if the
data drops out for more than a few bits the clock on
the receiver could loose sync and you would not know
how many bits were lost but there is typically a
pattern in the frame headers that allows the clock to
re-sync.

Chris Albertson
  Home:   310-376-1029  address@hidden
  Office: 310-336-5189  address@hidden

 Opinionated? Impossible to please? Perfect.  Join Yahoo!'s user panel and lay
it on us. http://surveylink.yahoo.com/gmrs/yahoo_panel_invite.asp?a=7