Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] New job offshore - get into radio?

From: M. (Neo-Ranga) Ranganathan
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] New job offshore - get into radio?
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2007 10:47:07 -0500

On 1/3/07, Jago Pearce <address@hidden> wrote:
I will soon be starting a job travelling all over the world on boats
offshore.

Bearing in mind that while I love to try out other people's code I can't
program, I get the basics but could never get the hang of using other
peoples code.

Man what are you doing here?

I would like to entertain myself at sea and stave off the boredom. Noting
that a moving boat is too awkward for satallite (not wanting to disturb the
ships captain or onboard large dish and GPRS out of range), and laws
regarding radios what would be a good idea to spend money on?

On the one hand USRP from ettus is only £450. On the other why spend such an
amount on something that could be a 5 minute wonder, or be too complicated
for me to work on? How far can I get on a Motorola Surfboard 3200 cable
modem instead?

All the way to the end of the Web.
http://www.atw.co.za/end.html

In fact, can WIFI hardware be modified to do more than originally intended?

A good question. I understand the firmware of WIFI is essentially
programmable radio.

Is there other cheaper ways to start?

Also a good question. I would be good if Matt could provide some
guidance on the minimum package to get started and "do something
interesting".

I already find software based radio facinating. The potential for a device
to do Satallite, HDTV, cell phone, PCS, ISM and goodness knows what else all
in one box I find astonishing and even good value for £450! But is the
reality that such a device could be confiscated or too awkwardly non
turn-key for me to use?

Comments, Advice, Suggestions?